My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.christintaylor.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Tiny Kicks

Yesterday, a lady from our small group told me that if I laid flat and ran my fingers down my abdomen, I'd be able to feel my uterus growing firmer and larger.

So I tried it this moring, and I didn't get it. Everything was firm from my belly button down and I have a hard time believing that my uterus is that big already. On the other hand, I started thinking about the baby and about the delivery, and then before I knew it, I was praying that the right nurses and doctors would be in the delivery room for us.

This is all very premature, since I haven't even signed up for the birthing classes, but there's no accounting for my neurotic thought patterns!

Just as I was lying there, my hands on my belly, praying, I suddenly felt a little pop from the outside. One side of my brain knew immediately that I had just felt the baby kick, but the other side of my brain was catching up. And while I was running down the list of things that the little pop could have been - like gas, or a stray piece of popcorn somehow exploding in my gut - it happened again. I felt a second thump, against my hand.

In some ways feeling these tiny kicks is so natural, so common, and in other ways, so miraculous.

6 Comments:

Blogger Annie Els said...

I love that you write about these things.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I couldn't feel my uterus either, even after the midwife tried to show me. glad I'm not the only one.

I still haven't gotten used to the kicks and flips--feeling them from the inside or the outside, and seeing them, blows me away.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Christopher Wright said...

When Dwayne feels your baby kick, he may do what I did...just stand there with his mouth open! :) I wondered many times what it felt like to women, but even to men it's very miraculous.

I love reading your posts, Christin!

5:37 AM  
Blogger Christin said...

Amy - Yesterday, my mom got to feel the baby kick too. This made the whole thing seem even more real.

Chris - I've been trying to get Dwayne to feel the baby kick too, but everytime he tries, Taylor Tot stays totally still. Ha! Poor guy. I can't wait until he feels it for the first time.
I was thinking of you and Liz and Mackenzie today. Wish I could see her!!

3:59 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

This post really made me smile! My little one is only 3 months old but I'm already becoming teary-eyed when I think back to when I first felt him kick. It was exciting and yet overwhelming all at once.

12:38 PM  
Blogger . said...

There are no words to describe the moment when you feel your child kick for the first time! If they weren't before, the words "my child" and "my baby" become really, really REAL like never before! Thanks for sharing your miracle moment!

I'm prayin' for ya, "Mommy"!

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home